Agriculture packaging is necessary because it holds the items and keeps them secure without dripping and breakage until they are utilized and make the handling of food more accessible. The packaging fortifies the food from any hazards and being deteriorated during distribution and storage. Agriculture package is an obstacle against dirt, microorganisms, and other contaminants. It also becomes a guard against insects, birds, and rodents.
Additionally, it also provides protection from crushing and physical damage, heat, and light that can cause rancidity, softening, wilting, or any other deterioration. Some of the types of agriculture packages that are used for shipping are:
- CARDBOARD BOXES: Corrugated cardboard boxes are mostly used to carry bottled or plastic-packaged food items. It protects the food from any damage against impacts and compression. Boxes that have smaller and more corrugations present makes it more rigid. The cushioning and resist impact damage is attained by larger ridges.
- WOODEN BOXES, TRAYS, CRATES: Usually fruits and vegetables are carried in the wooden boxes which protect the food against crushing.
- PLASTIC CONTAINERS: The high-density polythene and polypropylene plastic containers are reusable and easy to clean. They do not contaminate any food with splinters.
- EGG AND FRUIT TRAYS: The shaped trays for eggs or great-value soft drinks are created from the pulp, plastic, or foamed polystyrene. These shapes are fabricated to fit individual eggs or fruits and keep them safe during shipment and distribution. The empty trays are stackable, so they also can be easily reused.
- BASKETS: The baskets used for agricultural packaging are formed from locally available plants. These baskets are lightweight, robust, reusable, and biodegradable. They are mostly used to transport fresh crops to the market. It is also kept in stores for retail display of fruits and eggs.
- SACKS: The griculture packaging services provide companies to make different sacks like textile sacks, polypropylene sacks, high-density polythene sacks, single or multi-walled sacks that are water-resistant, and also provides protection against air and moisture. All these sacks are specific textile sacks carry flour or grain, polythene sacks carry hazardous materials like agriculture fertilizers and chemicals.